From 2007 to 2017, we at http://www.wijsf.org have advocated for women musicians globally. We have participated in the following activity:
- Recruited 325 members – musicians and supporters.
- Published a monthly newsletter promoting the music, performances, and publications of women musicians.
- Released six compilation CDs of 63 songs by 45 women composers.
- Distributed three catalogs of advertisement from women in the arts and business.
- Presented Amazing Musicwomen to thousands of youth, adults, and seniors.
- Promoted women musicians through concerts, workshops, and social media.
- Won several awards for our work to promote and advocate for women musicians.
- Aligned with several organizations that focus on women musicians like Fondazione Adkins-Chiti: Donne in Musica, Women in Music, Inc., NLAPW, and Alabama Women in Jazz.
- Featured over 280 women composers on MUSICWOMAN Radio.
- Maintained a Jazzwomen Directory since 1997.
2014 Symposium on Women in the Arts (CANCELED)
Although over 700 people signed up for this symposium online, when it came time to register for the event, which was to take place in Washington, DC, not enough people committed to attend. Therefore, it was canceled. However, the concept is an important on – to bring women in the arts together to discuss increased funding for Women’s Artistic production.
WATCH THE VIDEO
* * * * *
In 2012, there was an OFFICIAL CALL to women composers and instrumentalists in all genres – Classical, Country/Western, Folk, Native America, African, Blues, Jazz, Hip Hop, Latin, Caribbean, Klezmer, etc. – for the first MUSICWOMEN CONFERENCE on October 9-13, 2013, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.A. but it has been postponed. It was to be presented by:
- Women in Jazz South Florida, Inc.
- South Florida Symphony
- Fondazione Adkins Chiti: Donne in Musica – Rome
- Women in Jazz Austin Texas
- Instrumental Women Pasadena California
- International Women in Jazz New York
- The Many Colors of A Woman, Inc. – Connecticut
The mission of the MUSICWOMEN CONFERENCE is to increase the profile of the presenting organizations that are dedicated to the promotion of the music of women, globally. The focus of this conference is to determine “How musicians do business” and “How can we work together to improve the earnings of women musicians.”
Performers and panelists must be a member-in-good-standing of one of the presenting organizations. We welcome cash and in-kind sponsors, partnerships, submission of compositions to be performed and papers to be presented.
Register here: www.wijsf.com/conference.htm